*This site may contain affiliate links from trusted travel partners. When you purchase through a link on this site, I may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.*
Ah, summer! The season of sunshine, relaxation, and…intrepid adventures? You bet! Here is your adult summer bucket list!
If you’re like me—an adult sans kids, with a thirst for travel and a perpetual knack for squeezing every ounce of fun out of sunny, warm weather—then you’ve landed at the right place at the right time.
Or maybe you are a parent/couple seeking a little “me-time” away from the kids. Maybe you are looking for incredible travel experiences to do with your partner.
Whatever your reason for being here, welcome to my ultimate summer bucket list for adults! This is everything that is romantic, cultural, adventurous, or made for adults.
Over the years, my summer escapades have ranged from tranquil beach getaways to electrifying city hops. Now, I’ve taken the liberty to compile these personal favorites and more in this blog post so that you too can feel that magic.
So, whether you’re single, part of a dynamic duo, or a parent on a kid-free holiday, this post is your ticket to an epic summer of traveling.
Depending on where you go, Europe promises to offer you a plethora of summer bucket list ideas. From romance to culture, all adult travelers will find something to do! It is, however, peak season. So, you might have to deal with some crowds.
European Summer bucket list
- Explore the ancient ruins of Rome, Italy.
- Sail around the Greek Islands.
- Visit the Giant’s Causeway in Ireland.
- Kayak in the Norwegian Fjords.
- Try authentic pizza in Naples, Italy.
- See the Blue Lagoon in Iceland.
- Try traditional Paella in Valencia, Spain.
- Explore the Louvre in Paris, France.
- Attend a music festival, such as Tomorrowland.
- Ride on an Off-Road Volcano Buggy in Lanzarote, Spain.
- Visit the Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain.
- Attend a wine festival in Tuscany, Italy.
- Visit the iconic landmarks of London, England.
- Cruise the Rhine through Germany.
- Explore the Golden Circle in Iceland.
- Take a gondola ride in Venice, Italy.
- Visit the Sistine Chapel and Vatican City in Rome, Italy.
- Explore Lake Bled and Bohinj in Slovenia.
- Visit the Acropolis in Athens, Greece.
- Take a luxury canal cruise through Amsterdam.
- Go chocolate tasting in Brussels, Belgium.
- Explore the street art scene in Berlin, Germany.
- See the stunning Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.
- Go on a wine tour in Provence, France.
- Attend a traditional Flamenco show in Seville, Spain.
- See a show at the Moulin Rouge in Paris, France.
- Go on a road trip through the Scottish Highlands.
- Go wine tasting in Douro Valley, Portugal.
- Learn how to cook pizza and gelato in Florence.
- Explore the charming villages of Cinque Terre, Italy.
- Visit the Dachau Concentration Camp from Munich, Germany.
- Go on a beer tour in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Attend the Royal Ascot horse race in Ascot, England.
- Visit the iconic landmarks of Barcelona, Spain.
- Paddleboard at night on an illuminated tour in Split, Croatia.
- Visit the ancient city of Pompeii, Italy.
United States and Canada
Most states in the US and Canada offer great temperatures and conditions during the summer and many amazing adult activities! It is summer break for us Americans, so I would prepare for some crowds if you are going to more popular places.
US Summer Bucket List For Adults
- Take a helicopter over the Grand Canyon in the USA.
- Go skydiving.
- Go on an architecture river cruise through Chicago.
- Go on a road trip along Route 66 in the US.
- Experience the natural beauty of Banff National Park, Canada.
- Attend a traditional Luau in Hawaii.
- Go on a wine tour in Napa Valley, California.
- Visit the iconic landmarks of New York City.
- Go sightseeing in Washington D.C. at night.
- Hike Hanging Lake in Colorado.
- Attend a music concert at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Colorado, USA.
- Visit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure without any of your kids.
- Witness the beauty of Niagara Falls from a helicopter.
- See New York from the SUMMIT One Vanderbilt Experience
- Wander through Alcatraz in San Francisco, California.
- See the majestic beauty of the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, USA.
- Visit the 9/11 memorial and museum in New York.
- Sail around the crystal clear waters of Lake Tahoe, USA.
This peak season is Africa! It is also dry season, making it easier to spot animals without the luscious greenery that wet season normally brings. When vegetation thins, the animals start to congregate around water sources.
I went to Tanzania in the beginning of June and I didn’t think it could be better than that: nice temperatures during the day, chillier at night, and saw all of the Big 5.
If you are going to northern Africa, be prepared for some heat!
Africa Summer Bucket List IDEAS
- Experience a safari in South Africa.
- Experience the Maasai culture in Kenya.
- Take a boat trip on the Nile in Egypt.
- Go on a safari in Tanzania.
- Explore the stunning beaches of Seychelles.
- Take a hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti.
- Ride a camel in Marrakech, Morocco.
- Go on a game drive at Kruger National Park, South Africa.
Temperatures and rainfall differ from country to country. For example, the conditions of Japan and China are going to be vastly different than Southeast Asia. It is important to check the exact location and see if you are okay with a little heat and a little rain.
Asia Summer Bucket List activities for Adults
- Try sushi in Tokyo, Japan.
- Walk the Great Wall of China.
- Explore Ubud and go on the swing in Bali, Indonesia.
- Discover the temples of Angkor Wat, Cambodia.
- Visit the floating markets in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Visit the historic city of Jerusalem.
- Participate in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony.
- Rent a kimono in Japan.
- Take a train ride from Arashiyama to Kameoka (Segano Romantic Train).
- Take a cooking class in Thailand.
- Relax at a luxury resort in the Maldives.
- Try authentic street food in Singapore.
- Take a boat trip around the stunning islands of Phuket, Thailand.
Remember that in the area of Oceania, the seasons are changed. This means that for summer, it will be winter. This will bring colder temperatures. Fortunately, this means that it won’t be peak season and the prices will be cheaper.
Adult Summer bucket list in Oceania
- Swim in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia.
- Try surfing in Queensland’s Gold Coast.
- Take a road trip along the Great Ocean Road in Australia.
- Go island hopping around the Yasawa Islands, Fiji.
- Try bungee jumping in New Zealand.
- Go jet skiing in Bora Bora.
- Attend an opera or ballet performance at the Sydney Opera House, Australia.
- Go heli-hiking on Fox Glacier in New Zealand.
South and Central America
Central America is going to be hot, humid and rainy, but you might beat the cruise ship crowds over summer. I went to Costa Rica for the summer and it was hot, but still worth it!
Climate and temperature ranges for South America and summer is peak season. When I went to Peru, I went in August and the weather was stunning the entire time.
South and Central America adult Bucket list for Summer
- Learn to tango in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- See the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands.
- Explore the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil.
- Relax on the beaches of Cancun, Mexico.
- Explore the colorful streets of Havana, Cuba.
- Visit the ancient pyramids of Teotihuacan in Mexico.
- Relax on the white sandy beaches of the Caribbean.
- Visit the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu, Peru.
- Go on a jungle trek in Costa Rica.
Most of the places in the middle east have very high temperatures during the summer, but you might escape the crowds. If you choose to knock out any of the bucket list ideas below, make sure that you can tolerate the heat!
Middle East Adult Summer Bucket List
- Go to the hot air balloon festival in Cappadocia, Turkey.
- Visit the ancient city of Petra, Jordan.
- Paraglide over Jounieh from in Lebanon.
- Take a river cruise down the Nile in Egypt.
- Explore the souks in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Visit the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Go to Jeita Grotto in Lebanon.
- Adventure on an desert safari in Dubai.
- Marvel at the Al Alam Palace in Oman.
And there you have it, folks!
Whether you’re craving the thrill of skydiving, seeking peace in a Japanese tea ceremony, or simply yearning to savor authentic pizza in Naples, there’s something for everyone on this list!
Even though this list might be daunting and may take quite a few summers, I hope that it gave you the much-needed inspiration to check some of these off for yourself and conquer (or maybe add) some things to your bucket list!
So embrace the spirit of adventure, and start ticking off your summer to-do list.
After all, summer is the perfect time to embark on these exciting journeys and create unforgettable memories. Remember, the world is your oyster, and every adventure counts!
More Summer Bucket Lists
This post is a massive list of ideas to do during summer. I also have specific monthly bucket lists complete with even more epic travel ideas!